Sealed pianos & Gorillas

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 10:47:12 -0600

Piano Techies:

In spite of the light hearted banter (very enjoyable, of course) about
this point, I think there is something very important to learn from
this...

Avery Todd wrote:

> I have that problem with the techs at the local S & S dealer. Every
> time I need to get into one of his C & A pianos, because of the "Gorilla"
> who tightened down the cheek block screws I have to have a "Godzilla"
> screwdriver to get the screws out.
>
> Avery

and

>    It's a little hard to do that sometimes when you have judges, contestants
> and a roomful of teachers and audience waiting on *you* to fix the piano AND
> let them stay on schedule. :-)
>
> Avery

If you are responsible for the piano up on stage, especially in a
pressure situtation as Avery describes, it would be a good idea to
insist that the piano arrive at the hall early enough for it to settle
down and let you have a look at it.  If you have never pulled the action
to check it, imagine your embarrassment when a wayward pencil starts
making noise in the action or a note won't play.  Maybe a two-part jack
has come unglued in this rental piano.  As Avery experienced, at whom
are the judges, audience and competitors glaring?  Not at the dealer who
sent the piano - no, he or she is not up on stage.  If you do a
check-over at that point, you will personally be reinstalling the cheek
blocks/fallboard and checking that 1) the front rail does not knock and
2) the shift function works as planned.

Yes, I do have a little experience with competition pianos in a hall
full of waiting people and by using the above procedure, we have avoided
disasters.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas