Sealed pianos

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 08:47:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Wally.

There's nothing like traveling a half hour or forty mintues from home
to tune a piano, walking in and finding that you can't open the top to
tune it! Once it happens, you'll ALWAYS carry a suitable allen wrench in
your tuning kit. Some tuners don't like being surprised by those hex-hole
screws, and rather than leave the piano untuned, resort to prying the tops
off with large screwdrives or small pry bars. Carrying an allen wrench is
really easier, especially if the customer is watching!

Actually it's  rather odd that you would have found such a piano in a cus-
tomers home. For decades, Everette's were very aggressively marketed into
school systems all over the country. Those pianos destined for such an in-
stitutional setting were equipped hex-hole-screw-fastened brackets to pre-
vent nine-year old, piano-technician wannabes, from discovering how many
hammer heads they could break off their shanks in the thirty seconds the
teacher was out of the room. So the brackets weren't just put there to
try to drive piano technicians crazy. Although sometimes it seems that
way. Those pianos equipped with those special brackets frequently also
were equipped with key-cover locks as well. Nothing is more frustrating
than walking in on those pianos without an appropriate allen wrench for
the hex-hole screws and then finding that the key-cover has been locked,
too, and no one can find the key! That means that you're going to have to
use you heavy-duty pry-bar TWICE! Never leave home without it! :) Ever-
ette pianos destined for non-institutional settings were equipped with a
normal hinged lid that merely folded back for access. But you never know
for sure. So carry that allen wrench in your tuning kit. Or at least a
strong pry-bar.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net