Chickering Stringscale

Thu, 06 Mar 1997 10:30:38 -0700

Charles,

Where did you find the flanges?

Before Trefz burned down (now a long time ago), you
could getjust about anything like this you wanted/needed.  In the past
20 years or so, however, it's just been catch as catch can.

Perhaps some enterprising technoid will buy a CNC machine and go into
business...

Thanks.

Horace

>Lance
>
>I am finishing a rebuild on a Chickering quarter grand, Model 122. To say
>the least, it has been a pain. It has brass flanges and both the hammer
>and wippen flange rails, and most of the wippen flanges had to be
>replaced.
>
>The pinblock has a rabbet cut along the plate flange which took hours to
>fit.
>
>Having said all that, I'm very happy with the piano. It's quite unique
>and after much repair has a warm sound.
>
>I would like to exchange views on this unusual piano.
>
>Charles Faulk RPT
>Manhattan, Kansas

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

LiNCS				voice: 725-4627