Hammers with and without

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:13:07 -0500

Dear Andr=E9,

I think you have not ordered hammers from Steinway New York.  Their hammers
come rough and as soft as a baby's posterior.

These HAVE dto be hardened in order to get any tone at all from them.

I generally like to squirt plastic/acitone on both shoulders, which works
well in the lower treble to the bottom bass.  I will soak the treble.  Then
wait a day if possible.  File the hammers and then use a wetted paper towel
or my dampened thumb to finish hardening.

I would very much like to wait a year or so because after being played for a
while the hammer tends to open up and get a little brighter.  Only then can
final voicing be done because you know what you have to work with.

I prefer not to harden or voice excessively, but most hammer makers don't
work with the final result of their labors, they leave that to us victems.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com