An Interesting Request

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:55:24 -0500 (EST)

My reply:
============
A few problems, sir.  First of all, piano lids were not designed to
support much more than their own weight and the weight of eyes observing
its beautiful finish.  Lying on top of said piano is out of the question
-- unless you are prepared to pay for the replacement of that lid, in
which case, I would require a deposit of $_<cost of a lid>_ before I will
approve the first *rehearsal*.

Second, if I understand you correctly, you're performance would include
placing textbooks atop the strings. While the sound produced by the
strings' vibration being arrested by the weight of the books may sound
"neat," the potential for collateral damage to the dampers is too great.
I must, therefore, insist that you do *not* do this.

Regarding "inserting towels between the frame and the strings," I am
uncertain about what you are referring to as the frame.  Please clarify.

On the whole, I am not likely to approve your request on *this*
instrument. If you would like to arrange and pay for the rental of an
instrument for this performance, assuming the owner will agree to your
"treatment," I will be happy to accommodate your tuning requirements.
====================
How's that?

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Kenneth Sloane wrote:

>                       Subject:                              Time:  9:31 AM
>   OFFICE MEMO         An Interesting Request                Date:  3/4/97
>
> I received this request recently in regard to piano service.........
>

> 	Hi Ken. Jean Davidson told me to get in touch with you concerning
> the guidelines for physical manipulation of the baby grand in Warner
> Main. I'm a Theater student planning to audition a piece for Spring Back
> dance concert that would involve converting the piano into a large puppet
> constructed of some lightweight material. I would also be lying on top of
> the closed lid for a brief time. Also I'd like to prepare the piano by
> inserting towels between the frame and the strings and perhaps placing
> slightly heavier objects such as textbooks on the strings themselves. Let
> me know as soon as possible if there are any problems with this, as I
> will need to explain my project in detail to the auditioning committee.
> Thank you
>
> What would your reply be???
>
> Ken Sloane    Oberlin Conservatory

			     Ron Torrella, RPT