DuoArt Appraisal

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 10:07:35 -0600

At 01:31 PM 3/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

>To those on the list who do appraisals:

>When appraising a Steinway DuoArt (1910-1920's, (snip), would it be fair

>to simply treat (and appraise) the instrument as if it were a

>"regular" M or L of same age and condition?

Gary,

	I find that most players have had harder use than regular pianos, reducing their value. Also, the Duo-Art screwed-up the action in different ways on different pianos. Check to see if the tracker tubing went through the keyframe and keys in a series of ga
sket ed blocks, or went to the sides behind the cheeks to steel blocks. The models that go through the keys caused problems with key length and key "twisting" under hard play use. Heat from the electric motor also can have had a bad effect on the sound-bo
ard, bass bridge, and other stuff in the tail. Basically, the answer would have to be "no", it wouldn't be fair to treat the value like a regular M or L of the same age.

<center>Guy Nichols, RPT, chapter 799

nicho@lascruces.com

"A mind is like a parachute, it works best when open."

</center>                If at first you don't succeed, so much for
skydiving.