Sciortino Insta*Coiler modifications

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 08:22:32 -0500

>Hello list,
>I recently purchase a Sciortion Insta*Coiler and had problems with it snapping
>the piano wire off at the becket.  I rounded off the inside of the coil hook
>(where the wire passes over the threads) slightly which seemed to help quit a
>bit especially when using Ronsen wire.  It still  didn't do very well with my
>Mapes wire.
>
>Are there any other points which need "machined" or should I just do some more
>filing on the inside of the "coil hook".
>
>Thanks for any help.
>If you would prefer to send to me privately use
>Rolland Miller, 70642,3604@compuserve.com
>
>Rolland Miller RPT
>Miller Piano Service
>Berea, Ohio

Two areas to llok into:

1.  After making the becket rotate the held part of the tool slightly
conterclockwise so that the wire is bent around the pin and not bent in a
"S" pattern.

2.  It is possible that the toung portion is too wide.  If you wish to have
your final coil 1/8" from the plate and the toung is 3/16" thick the wire
may break and the plate will be scarred.

If there are burrs in the clot making the toung the by all means remove them.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com