pin block/flange fit

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 07:35:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 03 Mar 1997 18:05:09 -0700 Vince Mrykalo
<mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu> writes:
>I was called to service a piano that has an instability
>problem.  It is a Hoernung & Mueller (Danish made) 7'
>grand that has plate bushings and the pin block was
>not fit properly to the plate flange at the factory (so I
>assume).
Vince
We  invert the piano on blankets and backfill the crevice between the pin
block and plate flange with a thin Hysol #1051 epoxy, made specifically
for the foundry industry.  This has really solved these tuning
instability problems for us.  I've done it on Hyundais (every piano they
make needs this), Young Changs (ditto), and even Yamahas.  It has ALWAYS
been beneficial and apart from the task of inverting the piano, removing
the lid and hinges, it is very simple.  We never do any letting down of
the tension either.  Apply it into the crack with a paper clip or piano
wire, using a mirror and a strong light to see what you're doing.  I
prefer this to shims any day and the fit is much more complete.
You can buy the Hysol from a distributor here in Somerville, MA,  Malcolm
Stevens.  I can get more info today at my shop.  It is a two part epoxy
and is rather cheap in comparison to some types and it is made for use
next to cast iron.
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@Juno.com