doping hammers

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 15:54:13 -0600

At 05:16 PM 3/3/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I have heard a fair bit about doping hammers, but have heard no

>consistent opinions as to how to go about it, what mixture of key/acetone

>to use, whether to soak the hammers and go like crazy, whether to be

>conservative, staying away from the strike point, or being conservative

>and doping the strike point.

>Any help on the subject would be greatlya appreciated.

Les,

	I like the "light" mixture of two tops to a quart of acetone, and I break the keys up pretty small. The mix needs to sit till all is disolved.

	Then I go crazy. Actually, it's all going to depend on the condition of the hammers. Asian hammers won't take much, and some European-style softies will take a bunch. I try to stay near the shoulders and let the juice wick up to the strike line. If the h
ammers have been worn and filed and squeezed and prodded and probed and otherwise abused, multiple applications may be needed. The nice thing is, you'll be able to tell in 20-30 minutes. 24 hrs is good for a heavy-play test, and I've found that bringing t
hem back down is easiest with the sideways, single needle approach.

	Have Fun!!

<center>Guy Nichols, RPT, chapter 799

nicho@lascruces.com

"A mind is like a parachute, it works best when open."

</center>                If at first you don't succeed, so much for
skydiving.