doping hammers

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 17:44:14 -0500 (EST)

Well, like everything else, doping hammers "depends". If hammers are very
dull and have never been voiced, I start with 4 keytops per quart of
acetone. If I'm doing slight voicing, I use 2 keytops per quart.

Again, if hammers have never been voiced and are way below their
potential, soak 'em. I usually attack the shoulders and the stuff ends up
soaking the crown, so I suppose I might just as well soak the crown. If
you end up with too much at the strike point, you can just needle it
shallowly, or deeper at the shoulders or from the sides, and take care of
it.

The hard part about voicing is, you learn by doing. After a while, the
hammer tells you what to do. There are many needling techniques, and there
has been a lot of discussion about this, some even in the past few weeks,
so you can check the archives.

One reason I like keytop/acetone solution is, I've never had a case where
I took it too far and ruined the hammer, because I use the light solution
most of the time. I wish I could say that about my using lacquer...

Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
Berea, Ohio