Chickering Stringscale

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 12:15:35 -0500 (EST)

Just a short note to keep things straight. There were TWO Chickering
companies that built pianos; Chickering and Sons, out of Boston, and
Chickering BROTHERS, out of Chicago. The quarter-grand was built by
the Boston-based, Chickering and Sons. The "acoustigrand" was built
by the Chicago-based, Chickering Brothers. Although the Chicago-
Chickerings were related to the Boston-Chickerings, the pianos they
made were not. The string scales were entirely different and are in
no way interchangable. The 6'2" Acoustigrand produced by the Chicago
Chickering Brothers firm was a very highly regarded piano in its day,
particularly noted for its tone-quality and projection. They've held
up well over the years and, when encountered, are usually worth re-
building. The best that can be said about the Chickering and Sons
Quarter-Grand is that at least the decal on the fall-board was im-
pressive. Note, sometimes rebuilders "cheat" by using a Chickering
and Sons decal when rebuilding a Chickering Brothers piano. Chick-
ering Brothers had their own, unique decal. It's available from
Decals Unlimited.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net