The London Piano Duo

Travis Gordy tgordy@fullnet.net
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 19:39:35 -0600

John: I tuned for the London Piano Duo about a year ago. Community
Concert program. They were excellant. The thing I remember most was the
two S&S Ds. The pins were difficult to set. The only word I can think of
to describe the pin block is "mushy",but that dosen't seem very apt.
The pins were not loose. I wondered if Steinway had changed their pin
block design and material. I think the "feel" of tuning pins varies with
the seasons(humidity), and perhaps that was the problem. Anyway, I did
not enjoy tuning those two as much as I usually enjoy tuning a Steinway.
One string of D5 on one of he pianos did not want to stop slipping. I
finally started sharp enough that it settled where I wanted it. I told
them it might slip and that I would be in the audience if they needed me
at intermission. Sure enough they sent for me, but it was not that D5
that had slipped, but the D5 in the other piano. D5 is the first strings
not through an agraffe. Anyone else ever have a D5 stability poblem?

They are nice young men. You will enjoy them. BTW, the local Community
Concerts chapter in my town pays for piano tuning. From what Scott said
they may be wasting their money, but I never have heard any artist
complain.

Travis