CA glue

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 10:43:30 -0500 (EST)

Hello Sam:

<<
 Very interesting, Mike. I'm just curious now...are you using thin, medium or
 thick ca? And, are you using the accelerant. About how much glue does it
 take? I heard from one source about 4oz. Thanks- Sam Grossner, Chicago

I've only used the thin, "red" label glue.  The couple of "beaters" on which
I used CA took about a half bottle for the bass section alone.  I applied it
in 3 applications, waiting about 5 minutes between doses.  The strings/pins
were not removed.  That's not necessary if you are careful.  Go slow and you
won't drip it on the plate.  Use a new applicator tip.  I've never tried the
"long tube in the bottle" tip recommended by someone out there, but it may
help in the application. (I believe you can order the tubing when you order
the glue).

I use the accelerator only to cut down on the smell; not for it's hardening
ability.

This isn't a cure-all by any means.  But it works as well as any option can
on those pianos that should be rebuilt but never will be!  The "Serendipity
Prayer"  is quite useful in this circumstance, eh?

Stay Tuned!

Mike Hoffman, RPT
Marquette, MI