My research so far

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:13:20 -0500

----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: pianoman <pianoman@inlink.com>
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: My research so far
> Date: Saturday, June 28, 1997 11:27 PM
>
> Hi James:
>
> In my most recent attempts on my own Steinway L, I am now using
7.0, 10.5,
> 8.6 for stretch addition (mainly to the A4 number).
>
> I have used this in working out the Aural tuning method which I
published
> earlier. The 5ths are purer now. Even tho' you can measure wider
3rds and
> 10th, as you listen to them, they are not really noticeable as to
the
> increase in speed. You will however definitely notice the increase
in the
> 4ths and the octaves as you tune, but not when you play.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

I would like to add that the fourths don't sound as fast as
calculations indicate.  They do not beat like thirds even though they
approach that rate towards A4 and upwards.  The beats in the octaves
are much more noticible, (because we are used to hearing pure
octaves) however that doesn't seem to interfere musically as one
might imagine, ie you don't hear them in music as much as you would
expect after hearing them  as octaves alone.
	It is very intersting and intreiguing to hear this stretched octave
temperament. Its the near pure fifths, that produce a tonality that
has a very agreeable flavor of its own.
In other words its is just as Jim said, "You will however definitely
notice the increase in the
 4ths and the octaves as you tune, but not when you play."
	The more chords, the more I think you will find appeal in this
temperament.  Would I love to hear Eddie Palmeri play with/in this
temperament.

Richard Moody