Shop Setup

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:31:03 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 29 Jun 1997 14:13:40 -0500
> From:          atodd@UH.EDU (Avery Todd)
> Subject:       Shop Setup
> To:            caut@ptg.org
> Cc:            pianotech@ptg.org

I like those heavy duty"gorilla?" metal shelving that slips
together.  You can put the shelves at any level and they come
in large sizes that will hold a grand action.  I've seen them in
catalogs.  I also love larger plastic boxes that will fit on
some shelves for supplies.
Some years ago I toured the Hamburg Steinway factory and took a
lot of pictures.  Most of the work benches had a piece of wood
along the back with holes in it for the various tools.  The
working end of the tool went down into the hole and handle
stayed on top for easy access.

Thanks for your repost about my maintenence schedule questions.

> List,
>
>    Does anyone have any (for me) last minute ideas/suggestions for a
> setting up a new shop pertaining to shelves, storage, tools, etc.?
>    I want to build a large shelving area to hold grand actions and
> smaller type of case parts, screws, etc. while other work is being
> done.
>    Any ideas on parts and small item storage?
>    Do you recommend a peg-board system on the wall for hand tools,
> rather than  shelving?
>    Right now, my new shop is basically a decent size room with a sink
> in one corner. At least I got that. I'd like to get some of the storage
> things set up this week before I actually start moving EVERYTHING in so
> there will be easy working room. Things are supposed to start being
> moved in this week.
>    Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Avery

> Avery Todd
> Moores School of Music
> University of Houston