Consultation Fees

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 15:43:36 -0700

Gina & List:

Thanks for your detailed post about helping piano shoppers find a piano.
I do much the same thing and I do spend quite a bit of time on the phone
with them.  Sometimes I wish I could be doing something else, but
whenever I find a piano like I did yesterday I determine to redouble my
educational efforts.

We have people here in the area that do beautiful work making very old
pianos look great.  Unfortunately, musical instruments they are not.
These are not old birdcages or "antiques" but old turn of the century
Baldwins, Knabes, Chickerings etc. (the one I saw yesterday was a
Weber.) Only the obvious is restored.  The finish is beautiful.  Strings
are often replaced, but soundboard and bridges are original and sound
bad.  Actions are poor.  Because they look so good they are sold for big
prices.

I have yet to develop the appropriate speech to gently inform customers
that they have a beautiful piece of furniture and nothing more.  I won't
knock the seller, and I don't want to make the customer feel stupid or
"taken."  I just try to explain the limitations of the
furniture/instrument and let them decide what they want to do about
procuring a real piano.

Does anyone have a good way to handle these situations?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University