Rim splitting

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:45:44 -0500

Epotek's # is 1-800-227-2201
They're in Billerica, MA  They're product is dated and made to each order.
It's shelf life is guaranteed one year.  Many techs use it for pinblock
restorastion particularly on Broadwood where the pinblock cannot be
removed.  I'm doing a double flanged / two part block for a Chickering next
week.  They can send you technical lit. for Piano technicians on the
pinblock procedure with your order.
West Systems # is 517-684-7286   BUT!!  Any good boat repair place will
have it though.  It is much cheaper than Epotek but it's thicker in
consistency (like pancake syrup).  Prices stay the same no matter where you
buy the West System.  Shelf life is "years" on the West System.  I've had
the hardener go bad after 5-6 years, but the company told me the resin
should last longer.  Good luck.  Write if you'd like any other info.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: Ted Simmons <ted@PALMNET.NET>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Rim splitting
> Date: Friday, June 27, 1997 1:23 PM
>
> Lance,
>    Where do you get this West Systems and Epotek epoxy?
>
> Ted Simmons
>
> >I would fill/repair with West Systems epoxy.  If you have to, drill
holes
> >along the crack to wedge a tool in to open it up a bit.  You may
consider
> >dental oral syringes to inject the epoxy. Plastic grocery bags will keep
> >the epoxy from spreading too far.
> >If you need thinner epoxy, Epotek makes epoxy as thin as water.
> >
> >Lance Lafargue, RPT
> >New Orleans Chapter
> >Covington, LA.
> >lafargue@iamerica.net

> >> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
> >> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> >> Subject: Rim splitting
> >> Date: Thursday, June 26, 1997 8:40 PM

> >The
> >rim

> >> Yes. If possible try to find out why it split. I've done three that
> >> split in a similar manner due to the piano being dropped by movers.
This