Downbearing/Unsubscribe

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:48:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jim, Ralph, and all,

Seems I'll have to be more careful about naming my products. I didn't
realize anyone else had access to the ancient and dreaded Acronymicon, or
"Book Of the Dread" (BOD). Ok then, DeeP FOck it is.

Ralph, Jim's right. You sort of neglected to include the chart in your
calculation. No problem though, I understand how it can happen. For years
I've told my customers that we piano techs carry business cards so, by day's
end, we can easily ascertain our names and addresses as a means of finding
our way back home. <G> This has worked fine for me, except for the time I
ran out of cards and had to dig out my driver's license. Anyway, where was I?

Jim, it's figured into the chart. Rather than measuring, computing, and
combining the downbearing for two slopes, with all the potential for error
*that* entails, I thought the shiny new DPFOC would be easier to use and
understand if the whole thing were condensed into one step. The easy way
would be to zero your bubble (go on, I dare you) on the speaking length
segment, and take the angle measurement off of the duplex. That gives you a
slope difference between segments to take to the chart. This isn't going to
be as accurate as computing each slope individually, relative to the plane
of the soundboard perimeter, but I decided that any difference after the
fourth, or fifteenth, decimal probably wouldn't matter. After all, how
accurate are your angle and string tension figures?

I doubt that this thing has any really practical use, but as an arbitrary
speculation condenser, it might prove to be of some value.

At 08:46 AM 6/21/97 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 6/21/97 2:56:32 AM, you wrote:
>
><<1.0   0.01745316>>
>
> Ralph I don't think that 200lbs is an accurate formulation using the Nossman
>DPFOC.
>(acronym guide suggests that this should be pronounced DeeP FOck) :-)
>
> According to my calculations with DPFOC, the correct answer with a
>'difference' value of "1" and a tension of 200 lbs would be:
>1 x 200 x 0.01745316 = 3.49 lbs of downbearing
>
> Ron N., question;  Since the slope of the string is different on either side
>of the bridge would this have to be figured into the calculation or is it
>already there in the 'difference' measurement?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

 Ron Nossaman