Adjusting Drop

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 03:03:49 -0500

----------
> From: Joel Rappaport <joelr@flash.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Adjusting Drop
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 11:58 PM
>
> .
>
> This goes along with another "Joel Classic":  trying to level keys
without
> making sure the hammer shanks are up off the rest felts.  Won't
work!
> snip
> Joel Rappaport
> Round Rock, Texas

I beg to differ.  You have described a "Mooty" or making an
adjustment when another condition renders it moot.  ie no effect.
	A classic comes to mind, adjusting  hammer heighth when the capstain
screws are just loose enough to "sink down" with hard blows.  To
which I suggested using tuning pin tightner.   And the "old pro"
replied, "out of the mouths of babes".  Being a beginner I was not
sure if he approved or not.  So as we progress from neophyte to tyro
or vice versa remember the old adage, " experience is what tells us
we are about to make the same mistake again."
	So remember when adjusting for lost motion make sure the hammer rail
is at rest, not cocked up by the pin or pedal mal adjustment.  And
don't level keys until lost motion is taken out.  And yes there is no
lost motion on a grand.  Oh yeah? see the "Joel Classic" above, and
to add to that, on some grands that had a player action, there is a
hammer lift rail.  Get the picture?

	Richard Youknowho