pin height, stretched octaves, (leading to purer fifths)

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:46:44 -0500

Hi Jim
	Thanks as always.  I guess it is apparent I did not spend much time
in a full blown rebuilding shop.  I had the opportunity if I was
persistant once upon a time, but I was busy in the field. Now I am
begging for field work, and there is no rebuilding shop around. Well
that is the breaks.  So this forum is as they might say the vicarious
experience.
	You might be interested to know that I tried tuning a "stretched"
temp octave. (A 440 to A220)  The A 220 would probably be 219.  Any
how the Korg needle type tuner I use for establishing pitch showed
the lower A a little flat. How much inharmonicity was involved I cant
really tell as I have to guess at the space the needle stands in when
it is between lines.  But I tuned the A octave "beatless" then
lowered the lower A to about half of what a tempered fifth would
sound like. I know the fifth is narrow and I am describing a wide
octave, but its sound sounded more like a tempered fifth than the
tempered fourth which is on the wide side. I couldn't get the fifths
to pure, the ones that were, turned out to be errors, ie they didn't
hold out an octave or two above or below before causing objectionable
beating in the fourths or thirds or tenths. But that was the first
try.
	Now you are making me wish I had a machine, as theoretically a
stretched octave should yield purer fifths. It is just too impossible
(for me) to  tune by ear that much "away" from what I have been
taught and practiced.  Also that a stretched octave would give faster
thirds, but who could tell execpt in testing. In music if the A to C#
third were a little faster, who could tell? I might meekly venture to
say that what is happening is that the theoretical beat rates is not
what actually occurs unless a machine is set to produce those.  In
other words, the ear tends to tune the fifths purer than those on
paper, while a machine might adhere closer to the mathmatical
predictions. There is also the consideration that the ear hears the
beats caused by inharmonicity and adjusts accordingly.  If a machine
is set up for inharmonicity only on three notes, its results might
differ.  But my wild guess would say no.  That the difference between
machine and ear is not different enough to make a differnce that
musicians would/ could discern or prefer. But then pianists have been
known to prefer one tuner over others. In that regard I would surmise
it is the same as listeners who prefer one pianist over another.

	Rambling Richard

ps  How come there is  not that much raving about Andre Watts?
(lately) And who is the pianist on the Tschaikowsky Piano Concerto #
2 that public radio has been playing lately?  Now there is a piano
voiced and tuned  better than expected. I don't suppose the tuner got
any credit other than his fee?
----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: Richard Moody <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: pin height, driving fluid, beckets
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 1:40 AM
>
> Hi Richard:
>
> The slope which you speak of is required in order that the treble
strings
> will be at a lower plane to pass under the Bass overstringing. This
slope
> also allows for a continuous level pinblock upper surface. This
slope is
> not required for the Bass whose strings are at a higher elevation.
>
> The inclined plane or plate THEY were referring to has to do
usually
> with open face pinblocks which are slanted upward from the
Agraffes.