Conservative Octaves?

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:30:41 +0000

> Date:          Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:19:23 +0000
> From:          Arnold Duin <aduin@EURONET.NL>
> Subject:       Re: Conservative Octaves?
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu, pianotech listserv <pianotech@byu.edu>

Arnold,

Now a good experiment would be to take someone with no
experience in piano tuning and give him instructions on how to
use a Accutuner.  Give him the tools needed and see what he
could do...I doubt if he'd finish the job...probably go running
out into the streets yelling "torture, torture".  But if he did
finish there is little doubt that it wouldn't stay in tune.
Hammer technique is the hardest part of piano tuning, IMHO.
There have always been books on "Piano Tuning".  And the public
has always dabbled in our work.  A tuning folk and temperment
setting usually drove most of them, but some got interested and
kept at it and became piano tuners.  The advent of the SAT's
will make it a little easier for those interested but at the
cost of a SAT certainly not save them any money.  I think once
again those with a real interest in the this work will continue
to keep at it but most run screaming

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA.