Jumping Tuning pins:a

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:57:23 -0700 (PDT)

I said:
><< I think its better to leave the pins a shade high when you drive them in
>the
> first time, then use the Instacoiler, neaten the coils (they'll need a lot
> less neatening than with other methods), then do a rough chipping, and THEN
> level them the last bit with the shank and punch. That way they end up
> _really_ uniform in height.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Susan
Sam Grossner answered:
> Good idea, Susan, however, once the pin starts a thread by turning, is there
>a chance of messing up the friction by driving it anew? Probably not, I've
>done it this way too.

Dear Sam --

That idea never occurred to me. I haven't encountered the problem, but I
don't know if it happens or not. The final distance is very small.

Anybody out there who knows about this and can tell us?

Yours,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn 365
useless things."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant