Upright capstans 1-1/8"

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:01:22 -0700 (PDT)

Ted, list --

Back to the drawing board. Thanks for reminding me how it works.

Susan

Susan,

Your tempering method is correct, but sadly, mild steel, also called
machine steel cannot be tempered due to low carbon content. I would install
grand capstans in Warren's place.  They can be spun out using a reversible
portable drill with a piece of 1/2 in. dowel with a dimple bored in the end
with a 3/8 in. drill. Then spin the new ones in on the drill press with the
same dowel, setting the adjustment for the aproximate height.

Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca

One of Murphy,s laws: Nature favours the hidden flaw
Another: Mother nature is a bitch.

At 03:00 PM 6/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Warren,
>
>This suggestion may be stupid, after all the work you've already put in, but
>why don't you tidy up your mild steel adjuster (or make another), and then
>temper it with a propane torch and a bucket of oil? At least that's how I
>think I remember doing it, way back when. Heat cherry red, quench in oil,
>clean up with emory cloth, reheat in torch till straw-colored. If I have it
>wrong, no doubt about 250 people on the list know where I went astray.
>
>Susan
>
>P.S. Two quotes from your recent humor post were too apropos to pass up.
>Thanks for all your humor efforts.
>
>At 03:17 PM 6/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>These capstans ordered ordered from both APSCO and Schaff are identical
>>and are un-adjustable after they are installed in the key due the taper
>>in the adjusting area! The original screws were square vertically and
>>horizontally, but these are no bigger than the threads at the bottom and
>>widen out to near the size of the original just under the cap.  My
>>regular adjuster wouldn't turn them at all so I made one out of mild
>>steel to the exact size and it became unusable after about ten keys.
>>The capstan just buggered it up!
>>
>>Does anyone have a source for these things, or am I going to have to put
>>grand screws in there?
>>
>>All ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Warren
>>
>>--
>>Home of the Humor List
>>Warren D. Fisher
>>fish@communique.net
>>Registered Piano Technician
>>Piano Technicians Guild
>>New Orleans Chapter 701

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

The hidden flaw never remains hidden.
Exceptions prove the rule ... and wreck the budget.
	-- from Warren Fisher's HUMOR 117.