Upright captstans 1-1/8"

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Warren,

This suggestion may be stupid, after all the work you've already put in, but
why don't you tidy up your mild steel adjuster (or make another), and then
temper it with a propane torch and a bucket of oil? At least that's how I
think I remember doing it, way back when. Heat cherry red, quench in oil,
clean up with emory cloth, reheat in torch till straw-colored. If I have it
wrong, no doubt about 250 people on the list know where I went astray.

Susan

P.S. Two quotes from your recent humor post were too apropos to pass up.
Thanks for all your humor efforts.

At 03:17 PM 6/13/97 -0700, you wrote:
>These capstans ordered ordered from both APSCO and Schaff are identical
>and are un-adjustable after they are installed in the key due the taper
>in the adjusting area! The original screws were square vertically and
>horizontally, but these are no bigger than the threads at the bottom and
>widen out to near the size of the original just under the cap.  My
>regular adjuster wouldn't turn them at all so I made one out of mild
>steel to the exact size and it became unusable after about ten keys.
>The capstan just buggered it up!
>
>Does anyone have a source for these things, or am I going to have to put
>grand screws in there?
>
>All ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Warren
>
>--
>Home of the Humor List
>Warren D. Fisher
>fish@communique.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Piano Technicians Guild
>New Orleans Chapter 701

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

The hidden flaw never remains hidden.
Exceptions prove the rule ... and wreck the budget.
	-- from Warren Fisher's HUMOR 117.