Ivory, plastic or bone?

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sun, 08 Jun 1997 19:49:27 -0500

Ed,
To the best of my knowledge, Yamaha does not sell Ivorite material for
rebuilding or overhaul projects.   When this subject, or something like
it, has come up on the List before, I have relayed information about
having a new set of spruce keys made on your existing key frame by the
Kluge Company of Germany.  Bone key coverings for the white keys are an
option that can be ordered.

Of course, this can cost some money for the client, so the piano has to
be worth it.  You did not mention whether this was a grand or an upright
or an instrument with great sentimental value, etc.  If the client is a
professional player, bone, an absorbant and non-slick material, can make
all the difference in the world to them, no matter what it costs -
within reason :-)

I don't know of any domestic supplier of high quality spruce keys with
bone coverings (real ebony wood is available for the sharps, too).  If
you, or anyone else, is interested in receiving the information, please
email me PRIVATELY (let's not clutter up the list) with your REGULAR
MAILING ADDRESS and I'll send you some literature that you may find
helpful.

Joel Rappaport
mailto:joelr@flash.net
Round Rock, Texas