needles and pins

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Sat, 07 Jun 1997 00:54:00 -0500

Another option. See what a tailor supply shop has to offer. I am looking
a chart of Scovill steel pins. They are available in 3 weights called
SILK, (for light weight fabrics) DRESSMAKERS, (for medium weight
fabrics) and BANK (for heavy weight fabrics and papers).
SILK comes in sizes 14, 16 & 17 which are from 1/2" to 1 1/16th in.
DRESSMAKERS are 14, 16, 17, 20, & 24. These are from 7/8" to 1 1/2"
BANK sizes from #8 to #32 which are from 1/2" to 2" long.

My box (1 pound which would supply a chapter) is Dressmakers #20. These
are 1 1/4" long. These pins measure .030 and fit nicely in my voicing
tool but are a little too short. It seem that the #24 which measures
1 1/2" would be a very good choice.
I dont know the wire size of the BANK pins (which run to 2") but the
DRESSMAKER size goes into the voicing tool easily but not enough
clearance for too much larger size wire.

This may be much more information than you really wanted but the answer
is yes, I believe you can make it work.

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN