Bass string query

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 19:03:50 -0700

Jeff Adams wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I subscribed several weeks ago (through a friends computer) and I've enjoyed
> reading your posts from "down under"! (especially from Jim Coleman Sr.)  I am
> wondering if any of you could shed some light on the following problem.
>
> About two years ago, I entered into manufacturing my own bass strings (it can
> be a nuisance being stuck in the middle of the South Pacific!!) with, on the
> whole, good success.  I bought a Schaff 114 Looping machine which I had
> modified by an engineer friend for the following reasons:
>
> 1) The hook began to wear very quickly and became grooved.
> 2) The loop eyes were too small to fit on all hitch pins (!)
> 3) Both hardened inserts were in the wrong place (IMHO) in relation to the
> `tail' hole, which caused an uneven twist.
> 4) Poor finishing of the tool and placement of the inserts was causing the wire
> to become nicked.
>
> Now I produce bass strings that look as good as anybodys.  The problem is that
> a small percentage of my strings are breaking at the loop where the thin end of
> the `tear-drop' shaped eye first starts to twist.

I've had a similar problem with mine Stephen,  I've never used it much
since then just like Dave.  But, I've thought about it several times
since then and wondered if a person clamp a powerful hair dryer or
heatgun so that it heated the wire while you were twisting, if it would
make things work better?

Has anyone tried this?

Warren
  This only seems to happen on