soundboards

Michael Wathen Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 09:04:11 -0400 (EDT)

>From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Soundboards
>
>Michael,
>
>The problem is in the assumption.
>
>The hammer cannot "give the same energy", because there is too much else
>that is
>different.  The boards will have not only different impedence, but probably
>also coefficients
>of impedence.  The strings will be of (somewhat) different dimensions and
>tension.  The hammer itself
>will be different. Et cetera ad nauseum.
>
>All of these things effect not only the amount of potential energy, but,
>more on your point, they
>effect the rate and quality of conversion of the potential energy to
>kinetic energy.
>
>This was part of the genius of the S&S model S at its introduction - how
>did so much sound and
>sustain come from so small a box?
>
>Big question.

First, I believe that the same amount of <average> energy is given to the
string regardless of the size of the piano.  I am not talking about how
strong of a blow you can impart to the string but how much energy on the
average is imparted to the string through the action. Also, I don't mean to
argue on whether or not that point is true or can be proved.  Physicist are
inclined to reduce all problems to a few simple points.  If they can't do
that then no theoretical investigation can occur.  For example, if you look
at the classic argument to derive the string equations you will see some
beginning assumptions like: "Suppose you have an infinitely long string..".
If you can't reason along with arguments like this that are attempting to
answer some basic question about the nature of things, then you can't ever
hope to look outside of your box.

If I hear what others have stated thus far then I might be inclined to
believe that a small piano sounds no different above, say, C5 than a large
piano.

Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu