Baldwin floating plate

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 00:50:37 -0500

If plates come from the foundry with a 10% shrinkage from original
design, some of that might also be laterally.  ie the plates might
vary in flatness.  Depending on how much of a hurry the assembly line
is in, sometimes it would not be unimaginable that a plate say 3 mm
off flat could be screwed down rather that cutting down 12 other
seating dowels. To a plate-bolter-downer, what difference does it
make? Besides who would ever know? Execpt the re-stringer.  If he is
careful to note after the plate is un-screwed it does or does not sit
on all seating dowels. Of course wooden rims could warp a couple of
mms also. Probably because the plate was forced screwed down. Talk
about a circular argument.   I would bet Baldwin's floating plate is
a way to seat varying plates with nose bolts rather than the double
dowels or what ever the correct term is.
	Hats off to Baldwin.  IMHO the Acu-just hitch pin is the best idea
since the capo d'astro bar.  Who could ever inagine such an
arrangement would hold a tuning? And please no comments from the
peanut gallery such as "shine them cheeks, boy" unless you want
credit for your bon mot, execpt to say I first heard it as a "lar
mot" but we won't larrup that one. : )
	Speaking of hurry, how many rebuilders let the piano stand with
tension off for thirty days or longer before going further?  If we
knew the craft of wood curing as practiced at the turn of the
century, it might should be six months or longer. But who can divine
the nature of wood?

Richard de Vine
			...isn't it good Norwegian wood?"   Beatles