Recrowning/arched spruce demo

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 04 Jun 1997 17:57:45 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

I stand corrected on my sloppy use of the word "amplified. "

The actual
case of the demo fork mounted on a tensioned spruce board is that the
board moves more air than the fork alone does. The fork energy is
dissipated more rapidly thru the board than thru the air around the
tines. When the board is loose, the energy is dissipated even much
more rapidly. This demo is a matter of impedance matching relationships
and has nothing to do with soundboards as found in pianos, except that
there is impedance matching in both cases, but the similarity stops
there.

Jim Coleman, Sr.