Crown

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:38:33 -0500 (CDT)

Part of Ralph Martin's post:
>...Michael, I
>never heard any major difference in sustain or volume if the guitar had
>an arched top rather than a flat top. (all other things being equal).
>This would seem to support what you are saying. Why should an arched (or
>crowned) soundboard in a piano sound any louder or sustain any better
>than a flat one? I think all this means is that I agree with you.

Ralph, Michael, List,

Without meaning to appear trite, some pianos got it, and some don't, and
therein lies the ever elusive mystery.

It is always a distinct honor and treasurable time to experience the few
rare moments when all the ingredients for a truly magnificent instrument
come together, whatever those ingredients may be, and I get to meet it, or
be around it.  Just recalling those few transcending times right now.

It even holds more true when a great artist joins up with one of these
incredible masterpieces of creation.  Beyond analysis, beyond
description...for those who can relate, it's enough to cause me to dribble.

Sorry, got carried away there, I'm back now.   :-)

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731