Using CA glue as a concrete foundation

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:02:16 -0400

Hi, Barry,

The CA glue gets as hard as a rock.  It is somewhat brittle in large chunks,
but takes compression, and sheer very well.  I have repaired cup handles
with it and have not had one come apart yet (three years).

If the bridge is split so there is no crack to the sides of the bridge then
clamp it firmly togather, align pins where you wish them to be then just
pour in the CA glue.  Once the crack is filled spray a little accelerator on
it and it will set immediately.  It will cure in four hours unless the
cracks are very deep.  I would wait 24 hours before stringing.  If you have
the piano completely unstrung you should use CA glue on all the bridge pins.

One very important use for CA I did not list is for stripped screw holes.
        Using a screw holder spray the screw thoroughly with a teflon lube.
        Drop one to several drops of CA in the hole (use medium or thick).
        Insert screw and turn to proper depth for the retained piece.
        Allow to sit for 24 hours.
        Give the screw a quick impact rotation to loosen.
        Reattach piece.

I have used this method for all types of screws, lids, flys, rim, action,
panel locks, fallboard, lamps and key weights.

On Steinway rails I remove several flanges, cut the fold back the cloth,
drop on or two drops of CA in hole and insert the screw.  Leave until the
next day.  It works wonderfully.

                May all your screws be tight!

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com