Tuneoff in Austin -- News Flash

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sun, 01 Jun 1997 15:40:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi to the list:

I just returned from the Coleman VS Coleman Tuneoff in Austin. I am
breaking my silince to announce that Coleman lost.

Actually Coleman tuned both pianos. The left piano was tuned with the
new pure fifths approach. The right piano was tuned with standare SAT
FAC numbers. In order to save time, the left piano unisons were tuned
by Charles Ball while the rest of us went to lunch. The left piano won
by a margin of 179 to 97 in the listening test of 15 selections. There
we 44 votes cast as "can't tell which piano sounds best." The wider
center octaves of the winning piano were not noticeable during the
musical selections.  One comment was that this tuning sounded more like
what an excellent aural tuner was doing all the time.

Jim Coleman, Sr.