CA glue tip-tips

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sun, 01 Jun 1997 17:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

Popular Mechanics had a very good in depth article about CA glues 2 years
ago.  There were many interesting things in that article.  I will mention
only one aspect of the article.

The clogging tip issue was addressed to my satisfaction:  store the tips in a
jar of laquer thinner.  I've done this ever since.  I have four tips I've
been using for 2 years now.  Even if a clog does occur, the glue is so
rubbery a piece of piano wire will quickly clear it.  The laquer thinner does
have to be changed occasionally, as it will build up with CA glue.  The small
amount of laquer thinner in the tip evaporates before the CA glue is used.
 When traveling I carry two tips (small and wide opening) in an old yeast jar
filled halfway with laquer thinner.  I keep the CA glues and laquer thinner
jar with the rest of my "chemicals"  in a woman's travel make-up box.  The
large, rimmed, level lid provides a platform to prevent spills (potentially
costly problem).

Removing the cap (tip) from the CA glue bottle isn't a problem with this
method.  Even if it were, I carry pliers that I use to open other containers
(among other uses).

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota