Customer Relations -- The First Piano Part 1

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:54:00 -0400

Dear List:

It's already getting to be that time of year again when parents are gearing
up their kids to go back to school and to resume piano lessons.  As always,
there is a handful of first-time piano students whose parents have provided
them with a piano, or so they think they have.

Let me throw in my 2 cents deviation's worth here.

Back to the issue of a customer with an old, inadequate piano for the
little future pianist to try playing on...

My approach to breaking the dirty details to a customer starts with a
series of questions.  First, try to find out if the piano is steeped in
family history in an effort to find out what the emotional attachment to it
might be.  Next, try to find out how it happened that this piano ended up
at this location (garage sale, church rummages, etc.)  If indeed this
attempt at a piano had been recently purchased, pop the crucial question --
had a technician been consulted to look at this piano before purchase?

"Uh, no ... should I have?"

That's when to launch into the advantages of having a technician look at it
first.  Keep it short and sweet in an effort to get the customer thinking
about what is most important in a first piano.  Sometimes if the customer
really doesn't want to hear that after the fact [sale], you might ask them
to judge how soon they plan to outgrow the piano.  Now is your opportunity
to plant the seeds for their eventual purchase of a better piano.  That is
when to recommend reading Larry Fine's book.  But be patient -- those seeds
may take a long time to germinate.  About the only thing you can do to
jump-start those seeds is to express concern for the frustration the little
pianist may experience in trying to play the current piano.

Things can get a little touchy here.  The last thing they would want would
be for a technician to call periodically to find out whether or not they
have upgraded.  Leave that for salespeople.  When you call to remind them
of service, you might inquire about the little pianist's progress.
Sometimes that by itself is enough to get them thinking about a better
instrument, if the little pianist is still playing.

Sometimes these old "specials" are steeped in family history.  This is the
piano a grandparent had learned on way-back-when, and that grandparent
played in all the community concerts for more than a half century.  This
can be a very delicate situation.  My usual approach is to use the analogy
that the piano is like a cross between a car and a pet.  Like a car, it
needs periodic maintenance, and some but not all models are worth
restoring.  Like a pet, they do get old to the point where enjoying family
life is something of the past.

No doubt I can go on and on with the car/pet analogy here, especially since
it applies to new pianos too.  Whatever happens, the bottom line to my
thinking is to get the customers involved with thinking about the piano as
a member of the family capable of teaching family values such as patience,
practice, perserverence, and so on.  Pianos take maintenance, yes, but they
should be able to give back love.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor
diskladame@provide.net