Bechstein Pinblock

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:29:51 -0500

Jeff,
If you don't "feel comfortable" replacing this block, don't.  Since this
piano is in the "public eye" everyone that happens by will have an
opinion about it, and anything less than perfection will damage your
reputation.  Why not send it out to one of the heavy hitters like Del
Fandrich or Cliff Geers or Ralph Onesti?  (This is not a commercial - I
don't have a favorite - and their are certainly many other very
compitent rebuilders.)

Most rebuilders market to another tech with enough discount for you to
add some markup.  More importantly, you can go to the city council with
the statement that your recommendation is to call in an expert whose
only business is major rebuilding due to the specific nature of this
rare piano.

I realize there is a logistics problem with shipping to the U.S. from
"down under" but again, that's a lot easier to overcome than staking
your reputation on something you've never done!

It makes you look like a hero because you selflessly had their best
interest at heart, you make your markup for being the intermediary, and
you still get to keep the work that you do best, like tuning and concert
prep.

Just a thought . . .
Danny Moore
Houston Chapter