tune-off

Phil Bondi tito@peganet.com
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:28:44 -0400 (EDT)

Leslie Barlett wrote:

>Would someone please report, on the list, what happened with the
>"tune-off"? I am especially interested, since Virgil Smith was one of my
>professors.  I, and probably others, had to leave early Sunday morning,
>due to a long drive home.

..i'll chime in and say watching someone else tune a piano is about as
exciting as watching paint dry..but..watching these pros has to be the
exception..i especially enjoyed listening to Virgil talk as he was tuning,
explaining just what he was doing and why..also..the use of a video camera
really enhanced the whole procedure, in my opinion..

.. i personally had piano *B*(Jim Coleman) slightly ahead of Piano
*C*(Virgil)..and i will also admit that piano *B* was voiced to my liking,
and i tried like heck to NOT let that be a factor..

..i played all 4 pianos after the tune-off..the only real difference i could
hear in all 4 was the voicing, although i will admit, piano *C*(Virgil)
Octave 7 sang real nice for me..

..someone else might say Piano*D* was superior, or Piano *A* did it for
them..i just couldn't hear a real difference in them..someone else may hear
a difference..i wasn't able to.