A whole new world

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:13:55 -0500

robin fox wrote:

> I too have been reluctant to level strings despite what I read (persistent cuss
> that I am). My thought has always been that the hammers would have mated to the
> string heights so that leveling them would disrupt that relationship. So what
> does happen to the string-hammer relations on leveling, or, why does it work?

It is most adviseable to do string leveling at the time that you are
doing some maintenance on the action, i.e. lightly filing the hammers
and going over the regulation and voicing for the very reason that Robin
points out.  After string leveling, it is necessary to check two things,
mostly:  1) fit of hammers to strings and 2) damper effectiveness.
That's just part of it.  Also, my personal preference is to avoid
putting kinks or sharp bends in the wire, by the agraffe for example.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas