Pitch-Raise Delima

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 00:12:29 -0500

Hi Larry,
Just to add to the other comments. It is very important on the first
pass to lower the tension before pulling it up. This applies whether you
are overpulling or just bringing up to pitch.
I know 1 technician around here who routinely used the pitch raise
function in the SAT on pianos up to 200 cents flat. I much prefer Ralph
Martins procedure of just coming up to pitch on the first pass.
Just last week I had an old upright that I used this procedure on. The
customer had stated that they wanted to play it with other instruments.
After giving the warning that some strings might break, and with my
heart in my mouth because the strings were very rusty, I went ahead.
This piano was more than 300 cents flat. (With the SAT set on A4 and
playing C5, the lights still rotated counterclcockwise.) No strings
broke. Some areas of the piano required 2 pitch raise passes after the
initial pull up to pitch but it tuned up quite nicely.
Perhaps this will be encouraging. I am convinced that most pianos can be
brought up to A-400. They should be tuned again in about 3 months due to
additional settling.

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN

LTpianoman@aol.com wrote:

> List,
>
>       Please help. I have a Hobart M. Cable 1910 upright "grand" that I just
> finished repairing and regulating.(snip)
>    It is 113 cents flat and I need to do a pitch raise.(snip)
any