Small hammers

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:35:00 -0400 (EDT)

A historical society has asked me to do some repairs on an upright piano
from the early 1800's. Primitive action, vellum hinges as have been
discussed before. I'm doing minimal work, although all the dampers are
missing and I'll have to provide them. I've seen diagrams of this kind of
action, and I can rig up something. They aren't concerned with historical
accuracy, they just "want to play Silent Night on it."

It's a John B. Philips from Halifax, N.S. I have looked in books about
pianos and haven't found anything. If anyone can direct me to a resource,
I'd be grateful.

My real question is, there are 8 hammers missing. They're felt on a wood
core as usual, but very small. Is there a source for those? The other
parts I can make, and I'll adapt modern hammers if I have to. I don't want
to replace the whole set. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music