Pitch-Raise Delima

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 10:21:00 -0500

Larry,

   Let me add a couple of things to Ralph's comments. On an older piano,
be sure the plate screws are snug, especially for this big a pitch raise.
   Also, you might "spot check" in various areas of the piano for the way
the string *feels* as you bring it up to pitch. I've found that on an old
piano, if the strings have lost most of their elasticity, you will have a
very tight feeling in the string just before it gets to the breaking point.
This is hard to describe in words but sooner or later you will run across
one which will give you that feeling. If I sense that, I warn the customer
that there may be some broken strings. Actually you should do that in any
case on a pitch raise.
   I also agree with Ralph about not bringing it over pitch on the first
pass on that large a raise. If you have any strings break just bringing it
there, you know you'll have more break if you overpull.
   Just my .02 added to Ralph's.

Avery

>There are a few ways to handle this. I am offering what works for me:
>
>The SAT automatically raises the pitch 25% for an anticipated drop.
>Therefore, I first raise the pitch to the point at which the piano is 25
>cents to 50 cents flat using a very fast  and rough tuning. Make sure you
>drop each string slightly before raising it to break a possible rust
>joint. You can hear a liitle "ping" when the rust joint lets loose.
>This will "test the waters" to see if any strings are apt to break. If
>they DO break...don't consider this a fault of yours. You are not
>responsible for old strings and someone's negligence in keeping the piano
>up where it belongs.
>
>After this rough tuning you are only facing a pitch raise of 25 cents to
>50 cents so that SAT will not take you so far over pitch as it would have
>done had you not raised the piano to this point.
>
>I know this has created another step for you so please charge
>accordingly. There can never be a guarantee of no broken strings.
>Sometimes, depending on judgement, I will rough up to 440 and let  it
>sink to wherever it drops and do the pitch raise from  that point.
>
>I believe you are very much less apt to break strings using this
>proceedure. Everybody has their favorite ways of handling this situation.
>This way is merely my own.
>
>good luck
>
>Ralph Martin MPT

>>      Please help. I have a Hobart M. Cable 1910 upright "grand" that
SNIP
>>   It is 113 cents flat and I need to do a pitch raise. I have a SAT
>>and I
>>wanted to use the pitch raise feature but since it takes the pitch up
>>above
>>440 to begin with, is it best to NOT use the SAT and just bring it up
>>in 3 or
>>so passes as usual or is it safe to use the SAT even though it's a
>>whopping
>>113 cents flat?
SNIP

>>Larry Trischetta, PA Chapter,
>>( knowlege hungry Randy Potter student ! )

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893