Stripped Flange Screw Repair

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 23:42:40 -0500

Don Mannino wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Believe it or not, it is possible to repair an overturned screw hole in the
> aluminum rails. This is referring to rails which use sheet-metal type
> screws (large threads) as opposed to the fine threaded machine screws.
(snip)

Hello Don,
This is one more of many I have received from you that I thought was
terrific. Obviously, you are peaning the metal around the screw hole to
make the hole smaller. While I'm not anxious to using the procedure, I
believe it might be easiler to use an automatic center punch around the
hole in the same manner as the screwdriver with less danger of bending
the rail. My guess is the dimples should be around 1 to 2 millimeters
from the edge of the hole. Does this seem reasonable to you?

Norm Barrett
Memphis, TN