Grand Decision

Andrew Hector ahector@rust.net
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:16:19 -0500

Hello,

I've got a Bush and Gerts 6'0 Grand Piano from the 1920's.
Its in good condition except for the hammers, the finish, and the key
bushings and the dead base strings. I have livened up the base strings
and they sound a lot better. I am thinking about replacing the hammers,
base strings, dampers, bushing felt, etc, which is going to be around
$400.00 or so. My question is given the brand name of the piano, what
should I do with it. Is it worth refinishing ? I had considered just
using it as my own piano. If I had to sell it would I get my money back
out of it ? Make note that the case, ivory keys, and action are in very
good condtion. They pins are a little loose (Damp Chaser?). Anyway, is
this a piano that is worth spending time with or should I just get rid
of it asap.  Also, keep in mind that I am a novic technician and need
some experience working on grands.

Thanks,

Andrew Hector
Piano Technician