break out the breaker bar -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:56:29 -0700

This is the first I have heard of this.  Given the volume of calls we get on
a regular basis, I am willing to speculate that it is a fluke. That
easy-tuning pinblock is no accident. The reasons we have such
comfortable tuning pins is the care with which we drill our blocks, the
accuracy of our tuning pins, and the very small tuning pin diameter -
.272, fully .010 smaller than a standard #2 pin.  I am not aware in any
change in these  specifications.  Extremes of humidity or lack thereof,
can be a very large factor as you know, but what you describe does
sound more extreme. Gimme a call. Have serial number ready, please.
Gonna be in Orlando?  Come by the booth on Saturday!  I'm the ugly one
with the beard.  Actually, I'm the only one with a beard.
 Steve Pearson (800) 854-1569
YAMAHA tech support
>>> <REALPIANOS@aol.com> 07/23/97 08:54pm >>>
List,
Who is the wise-person who told Yamaha that they need more torque
on their
tuning pins ?
I have been so happy that my college is slowly replacing their upright
inventory with Yamaha U1s. UNTIL TODAY.
I tuned a brand spanking new U1 on loan for a summer advanced piano
institute,   We're talking repetitive motion injury on this thing.  It
actually started to hurt, the pins were so tight.
PLEASE.
I'd much rather deal with an occaisional loose tuning pin than deal with
that
amount of torque.
I hope this is not a new trend for Yamaha.

Tom Ayers
School of Fine & Perfoming Arts
S.U.N.Y College at New Paltz  NY
REALPIANOS@aol.com