Hitch pin adjustment

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 23:12:21 -0500

----------
> From: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet1.olynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hitch pin adjustment
> Date: Wednesday, July 23, 1997 3:48 PM
>
> I suspect also that the problem with this piano is not caused by
> downbearing, hammers or the bridge. My guess is that the sound
you're
> getting is inherent in the design. I'd look at the termination
> piece--the piece that takes the place of the V-bar under the
> capo-'d-astro bar. It's made of fairly hard steel, so it's not
likely to
> be grooved, but the string deflection angle across this piece is
> sometimes marginal

Some times crud gets there and acts as a kind of damper on the
terminatin point.  But it is a royal pain on the boomer to lower the
tension and  shoe shine it away with what ever.  And then when the
tuning is finally stable again, sometimes the problem is still there.
 This happened on a recently restrung D. (SS) (but this was 15 years
ago) We suspected over spray from the maid got in there.  What ever
it was , darndest thing you ever saw (heard) one week beautiful, the
next, like someone laid a hand on it, it was that much dampened.
this was above the dampers btw.  The lowering of the strings and
cleaning gave only marginal improvement.
Richard Moody.

If so, the speaking length of the string may not be