Hitch pin adjustment

Delwin D Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet1.olynet.com
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:48:44 -0700

Paul McCloud wrote:

> New Baldwin with the Accu-Just hitch pin system: What is the best
> method for doing this, and what equipment (downbearing gauge, etc.) do
> I need for doing the job?  He has been trying to clear up a group of
> notes on a SF Baldwin in the high treble which won't sound clear. He
> has tried everything he can think of, including leveling the strings,
> tapping the strings down on the bridge, needling the hammers, etc. He
> mentioned that he has been fooling with the adjustment on the hitch
> pins, so I'll have to reset them.
> When I return from Orlando, I'll be working on this piano, so I'm
> trying to find out what I can do to correct the situation.  Any words
> of wisdom will be much appreciated.
>     Paul McCloud, RPT
>     San Diego

Paul,

Setting bearing on these strings is fairly simple. You can use a bubble
gauge if you have access to one. Either Baldwin's or Tom Lowell's gauge
will work--Lowell's gauge is more versatile. Simply measure the existing
deflection angle and then make adjustments by raising or lowering the
string on the pin accordingly.

I'd not go quite as heavy as Horace recommends. Through the lower treble
section I'd like to see about 0.5 to 0.75 degrees and in the upper
treble section I'd like about 0.75 at beginning of the section going up
to 1.0 or 1.25 degrees at C-88. (I'm assuming that this piano is several
years old. A new board would be loaded a bit heavier.)

Don't fuss with measuring and setting each string individually. Set the
first and last of each section and maybe one or two in the middle and
level the rest of the strings to those. Re-check your original samples
and touch up if necessary. If the bearing settings were way off, the
board may drift up or down a bit as you make your corrections.

I suspect also that the problem with this piano is not caused by
downbearing, hammers or the bridge. My guess is that the sound you're
getting is inherent in the design. I'd look at the termination
piece--the piece that takes the place of the V-bar under the
capo-'d-astro bar. It's made of fairly hard steel, so it's not likely to
be grooved, but the string deflection angle across this piece is
sometimes marginal. If so, the speaking length of the string may not be
adequately terminated. Anyway, check this out before doing anything else
drastic. After you've examined the piano, if you think this may be
contributing to the problem, contact me directly, I do have a couple of
ideas that may help.

ddf