Player Pianos

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:31:50 -0700

Andrew Hector wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a client that would like her player piano tuned. I have never
> tuned one before and would like to know if their is anything different
> in the way they are tuned.
>
> Andrew Hector
> .-
Andrew

I'm going to assume this is an old player upright from the 20s or
possibly earlier.

The player action is somewhat in the way of tuning, especially in the
middle section and is wholly in the way of repair and regulation. This
seems to be the main reason for its existence, since it has, most
likely, ceased functioning decades ago.

In some instruments, the pneumatics are all contained in a stack above
the keys and the whole, heavy affair can be removed, preferably with
someone to help, and laid, upright, on the floor. This is, of course, a
bother but I often go to the trouble to avoid the frustration of getting
most of the way through a tuning only to have a broken string or action
part necessitate the removal of the damn thing anyway. It's even more
frustrating when the player action doesn't work and the owner wants to
keep it all in one piece, you know, just in case. It is some
compensation knowing that you don't have to make it work when you put it
back in.

The other kind of player has the pneumatics under the keybed and, with
all that tubing going down between the keys, the above board monkey
motion is hopelessly tethered and in your way. As a "vertically
advantaged" person, it's easy enough, I suppose, for me to reach over
the greasy contrivance to mute and tune in an awkward position whilst
praying for string and action integrity. Persons of shorter stature may
need to be more creative about their posture. Do try to remove the
"motor" and chain for better access.

It has never occurred to me to charge more for, oh, pain and suffering
while wrestling with all the various hoses and linkage. Suffice to say
that I don't cultivate this type of client and try to manage a smile
when one slips through my automatic piano filter system. The patience
I've developed as a klavier stimmer I choose not to squander on such
devilish devices if I can help it. Those old players have the potential
of "making a bum out of you". Meaning that you may be an expert about
acoustic pianos but noisy player actions are an entirely different
animal.

You might explain to your client about your lack of player experience
and, in full awareness of that fact, you may proceed with _less_
embarassment. And know that if you're smart enough to be a piano
technician, then you can figure out how to deal with a silly player
action.

There, I feel better now.

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT