Sreply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:36:12 -0500

----------
> From: Glenn <rockymtn@sprynet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Should I feel bad (busted strings)?
> Date: Monday, July 21, 1997 5:30 PM
>

> .
>
> I was called to tune a Shuman spinet.  The owner inherited it and didn't
> think it was tuned for at least 15 years.  Came to find out it hadn't
been
> tuned or serviced since 1975!
>
> It was 100.6 cents flat.  I decided to pitch raise it to plus 20 cents.
> knew it needed to go higher but I didn't think it wise.  I broke three
> strings on the pitch raise and a fourth while changing one of the others.

> All of the stings were past the last break on the top third of the piano.

> The strings looked original and some had already been replaced (the ones
> didn't break!).  I felt so bad that I split the cost of the 3 string
> replacement with the client and told him the 4th was on me.
>
> My mentor told me (since it was 100 cents flat) that I should have first
> brought it up to pitch, then a pitch raise, then a fine tuning.  I
> exclaimed "but that's THREE tunings" to which he said YES.  It is hard
> enough to explain and sell a pitch raise let alone a third tuning!
>

> Glenn.
Glenn,
Here is how I handle these situations.
Anything over 100c flat.
First trip If strings look rusty or you see replacement strings lubricate
bearing points. first pass pull to A-440 period.2nd pass Pitch raise
tracking every 6 notes from there. Normal tuning fee

2nd tuning in 2 weeks.
First pass Pitch raise tracking every 6 notes
2nd pass give it a decent tuning. Normal tuning fee.

3rd tuning 3 months  tune to A-440 solid, Normal tuning fee.  Impress them
that piano needs regular tuning every 6 months so they don't have this
problem again.  If client will not make the 2 other appointments they are
not serious about getting a usable piano.  All string breakage cost belong
to the client.
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com