Should I feel bad (busted strings)?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:31:22 -0500

Hi Glenn,

   Wasn't that fuuuuun! :-) Been there, done that. I have to agree with
your mentor, though. Three times, in that instance, would have been much
safer for you and the strings. Especially since there was already evidence
of previous broken strings.  When I see that, whether it's 100 cents flat
or almost dead on, I ALWAYS warn the customer that more strings may break.
Explain the cost to replace them if it should happen (be sure to charge
enough to cover your time to come back a couple of times to retune the new
ones), get permission if it is a pitch raise (explain why, the cost, the
possibility of broken strings, etc.) and go for it. To be on the safe
side, you should also check the tuning pin tightness before you make your
recommendation to the customer.
   One other comment. If strings should start breaking in the beginning
stages of tuning (I'm assuming starting in the middle and working your
way out), I call the customer in and explain that with them breaking in
that area, there's a very good likelihood of a lot more breaking. Then I
recommend tuning the piano to itself, after replacing the broken strings,
and if it's a decent instrument recommend a restringing job.

>It was 100.6 cents flat.  I decided to pitch raise it to plus 20 cents.  I
>knew it needed to go higher but I didn't think it wise.  I broke three
>strings on the pitch raise and a fourth while changing one of the others.
>All of the stings were past the last break on the top third of the piano.
>The strings looked original and some had already been replaced (the ones I
>didn't break!).  I felt so bad that I split the cost of the 3 string
>replacement with the client and told him the 4th was on me.
>
>My mentor told me (since it was 100 cents flat) that I should have first
>brought it up to pitch, then a pitch raise, then a fine tuning.  I
>exclaimed "but that's THREE tunings" to which he said YES.  It is hard
>enough to explain and sell a pitch raise let alone a third tuning!

   I don't think you messed up at all. You may have cheated yourself out
of some money, but you may also have learned a valuable lesson for the
next time that situation comes up. And there will be a next time! :-)
   The important thing is that you seem to have tried very hard to give
the customer good value for the money spent, so chances are you will have
a repeat customer and probably some referrals.
   About the only time I back off on the charges for broken strings is
when there are several. If it's a pitch raise, and the customer has
agreed to it, I just go ahead and finish the first tuning, letting
strings break that are going to. THEN I pull the action (tilt it back or
whatever), replace all the broken strings at one time and hope no more
break on the next tuning. That cuts down considerably on aggravation,
especially on a spinet, so I'll back off a little on my price that way if
I feel it's necessary. But remember, you'll still have to come back at
least a couple of times to retune the new strings.

>Did I mess up here?  I would have charged more for the total bill for three
>tunings with no broken strings anyway.  Should I have charged full price
>for the string replacements?  Should I not have charged for them?  One of
>the reasons I gave the client a break is because I failed to give the
>"possible string breakage speech" before starting the work.

   I hope I haven't rambled too much and this has been a little help.

Avery