Should I feel bad (busted strings)?

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Mon Jul 21 17:52 MDT 1997

Glenn: Thare are many ways of handling the major pitch raise situation,
and I'm sure you'll get many different opinions about this.  I have two
rates for pitch raises, a lower one for a @50c pitch raise, and a higher
one for the 100c raise.  I usually find that a 100c+ piano vill have to
be tuned three or four times before it settles down, and do two rough
tunings on the first visit, followed up within a day or two with another
quick tuning and then a fine tuning.  I usually charge extra for
replacing broken strings, although you could include that charge in the
initial estimate also.  I always mention the possiblity of string
breakage with a major pitch raise, especially on an older instrument.  A
quick examination of the instrument's condition before starting is also
a good idea, to be sure that there are no problems with cracked bridges
or soundboard problems.  I'll usually go through this procedure over the
phone with them when they call for an appointment so that they are
propared for the extra work and expense.  There will always be a few who
complain about the extra money, but you have to remember that it's not
your fault that the piano was neglected.  If you are doing a
professional job of tuning the instrument and bringing it back into good
condition, you should be compensated accordingly.  Patrick Poulson, RPT